Translate

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Sleepless in New York



I  was at a great workshop on stress relief. I was doing well until the presenter got to the part where she told us to "just Rest in God". Now, that's an expression I've heard a thousand times. Heck, I've used it a thousand times. This time around I could stay silent no longer. At least not before God. There are bills to be paid, a drop in income, unexpected circumstances... I said to Him at the top of my "inside my head" voice, "What exactly does this mean??!! Rest? I am an active, take charge person. I fix. I worry. How do I 'rest' in You?!"

Very quietly, in that still, small voice, I heard: "Watch what I do"The immediate response of my heart was ‘I can do that! I can watch You!’

It's like giving a child the spoon to lick while you bake the cake. Is God the best parent or what?
 I can passively rest while actively watching.

Watching, for me, means searching for clues in my everyday life with a spirit of anticipation. Staying attentive to all the subtle ways God may be moving the chess pieces into place. To look without putting my hands in the pot. 

Paul says in Romans 8 'For if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.' (v.25) 

The Israelites, during their exodus from Egypt, were not only chided for their lack of belief; one whole generation died in the wilderness, their bodies attesting to the value God puts on our faith. We are then encouraged by the writer of Hebrews to enter into the Sabbath rest offered only in Christ. Even with the Red Sea to the front and the Egyptian chariots on your back.

...for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from their works just as God did from His. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience. - Hebrews 4:10-12 

Teach me how to enter into your rest by trusting you to the degree that resting becomes as effortless as breathing. I love You, Papa God. Amen



[Subscribe to more posts by entering your email above right]

2 comments:

  1. definitely a challenge to rest in the midst of trials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!! Like you, I'm a do-er and need to see rest as actively watching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your reactions and your own journey with me!