Translate

Monday, May 27, 2013

A Pre-teen in the Spirit


No matter how many years I am following Christ, and despite my chronological age, I still revert to a preteen girl when I'm in the presence of the Lord. Why is that?

During one recent encounter where I was just overshadowed by His presence, I squealed, "Come on, Lord, let's go!"        Say whaaaaat? Am I for real??

This reminds me of an earlier blog in which I wrote:
But what if being born again is so total a rebirth that even our mental faculties are now infused with child-likeness enabling us to see the world through different eyes by taking away our "adult" filters?
("Being Ridiculous" 2/26/13)

My husband said this morning that he notices that the closer he gets to God, the less formal his prayers become. The "Thee, thine and thy" give way to the more familiar colloquialism of an intimate relationship. As my whole life quest is to know God as well as any of us might on the side of eternity, I wonder, what more might He be teaching us on this matter?

...the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”  And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them. - Mark 10:14-16

Children had approached Jesus, touching him and even climbing clumsily onto his lap - they knew in their spirits that He is good - yet they were rebuked by those who called themselves "protecting Jesus". Why should a Holy man be bothered by these mere children who knew nothing about protocol or proper decorum?  Then Jesus rebuked the rebukers by holding these very protocol-breakers up as examples for us all. "If you want to enter my kingdom, take your cues from these kids over here."

Maybe the kids we were before we got so smart and fake -- I mean, grown -- are the purest parts of who He made us to be. What we refer to as the child within is actually the connecting point between our redeemed selves and the indwelling Spirit of God . This is the part of our hearts that brims with faith - the faith it took to accept the claims of Jesus, to receive His forgiveness, to continue to pray to an invisible God. The child within who is generous with their 'I love you, too!',  who accepts every whispers as His voice and who sees each rainbow as a special, secret signal between Him and us alone.

Somehow I think that when we forget ourselves and just climb into His lap, skip the protocol and lace our fingers with His as we lean against his chest, God just smiles as He strokes our hair. 

Yes, Daddy's here.



Share your own thoughts and comments: How old do you feel before God?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your reactions and your own journey with me!