Translate

Friday, May 3, 2013

Forget me not - Part 2


In the post "Forget Me Not" - part 1, I began to explore the concept of having  "God Memory"; the ability and desire to remember God in all things in our lives. "In all thy ways acknowledge Him.." - Proverbs 3:6
I also compared that with ancient Israel's propensity towards doing the exact opposite: even after great miracles of God's deliverance and provision this nation persisted in returning to its familiar idols, forgetting their Maker.

We are not immune to this unholy amnesia, and the remedy remains the same: remembering Him. But our lives are busy and, frankly, had I not been writing on this subject the last week or so I would have been continually forgetting the Lord as well. It has startled me how easily I forget that I'm not in this alone, that I have the provision of prayer, that God is waiting to help me through things. I forget to thank Him when He comes through (every good and perfect gift comes from above), forget to ask forgiveness for my offenses and forget to come to Him for help before trying to scheme my way out of a mess.

In Psalm 103, David is actually speaking to himself, exhorting himself to remember God's goodness:
"Praise the Lord, O my soul and forget not all his benefits .."

(But then check out the benefits David then lists!)
 who forgives all your sins and heals your diseases
who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's..

It is for our benefit and strengthening that we are called to remember Him. And who doesn't need their youth renewed?

A couple of practical tips to enhance your "God Memory"
Journal - Every day or so (or even less frequently, but regularly) write down instances in which you catch God doing something good. Soon you will realize that He really is on your side, always seeking to do you good, even in hard times. I will make an everlasting covenant with them that I will never stop doing good to them. Jeremiah 32:40
Worship - The act of worship, itself, is an acknowledgment of the bigness of our God against our smallness and the finite nature of our trials in this life.
Schedule - Do you magically expect time for God to appear on your calendar? Yea, I gave up believing in magic, too. Giving God the first fruits of your day as well as our last thoughts at night gives us a running chance that we'll remember Him during the day as well. Pencil Him in before lunch hour and in your prayer over every meal.

Perhaps you forgot God years ago and have lived as a functional atheist ever since. Take heart. It is God, Himself, tugging at your heart right now gentling whispering, "Remember Me."

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their prayers - 1 Peter 3:12

Remember: He never forgets and is waiting here for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your reactions and your own journey with me!