Translate

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Loving While Blind - Part 3 - Salve for our eyes



I remember once listening to the radio testimony of a murderer who had come to Christ. It felt so good; I had all this compassion for this unknown brother in the Lord and didn't let the horror of his past life offend me. Then the Lord immediately brought to my mind a person for whom I had no such compassion; a person I selfishly kept at arms length for sins that were utterly insignificant by comparison. Oh the pain of that chastisement! Thinking I was an enlightened believer while inside harboring a merciless hypocrite. Ouch.

You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.
                       Revelation 3: 17-19

Jesus had more mercy for the blind beggar Bartemeus who knew what his need was - sight - than for puffed up, self sufficient believers who thought the'd seen it all. (Mark 10:46-52

The rebuked Laodicean church is often compared with the church in America: proud, rich, self reliant. The truth is even more profound - there are times when we can all lapse into that Laodicean mentality. Pride is a universal sin.

We are "wretched, poor, blind and naked" whenever we think we are without sin; when we think our flesh doesn't need daily crucifying; when we think we actually know the potential of the darkness of our own hearts. And we are especially blind and wretched when we compare ourselves favorably over and above others. 

I had a good cry after God pierced my heart that day over 20 years ago. I would love to say that I haven't judged a soul since, but I'd be lying. But I feel like I'm  in such a safe place whenever I throw myself at the Lord's mercy from time to time for a good cleansing. Jesus makes an eye wash that helps us see ourselves - the good as well as the bad - as He sees us. He's so very merciful and ready to heal. 

The view from behind His eyes is so much better than the view from behind my own.

Eye wash, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your reactions and your own journey with me!